Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Perfect Storm

Not sure if it was the three days of aikido training, being that time of the month, maybe a bad dialysis session, or the macaroni salad and lamb that I had for lunch, but I had probably the worst gout attack of my life this week.

It started at about 4:00 p.m. on Monday, right before dialysis, in the middle of the day. That made my dialysis quite uncomfortable. I was chilled and near cramping through the session.

The next day, I could barely walk. Being me (ahem), I attempted to work from home. My usual spot was quite uncomfortable, so I headed for the couch by mid-morning. I was miserable the rest of the day... (but still working to keep sane!). I did not have any appetite, but I knew that I had to eat to keep the colcichine down. For the first time in my life, I took acetaminophen with codeine. Boy, that knocked me down, and Hubby (by association) and I FINALLY had a good night sleep.

Wednesday was slightly better. I still could not walk forward, but I could do my version of the moonwalk (sliding backwards). Come afternoon, I could walk like a penguin, bobbling from left to right. Hubby said I looked cute.

The pain subsides as the days pass, but the swelling is another story. As I write this, my foot is about the size of a basketball (maybe half), in honor of the NBA Finals. No dancing for me tonight.

Through all this, Hubby, even with his mending broken ribs, continues to accompany me to my dialysis sessions and wait on me while I am immobilized with gout. I guess I am lucky to have him.

5 comments:

M said...

Totally sucks! You're far better than I. Can't believe you managed to be productive. I would've passed out on the couch with a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

RogueKidney said...

Thanks for the good vibes! Ben & Jerry's would be great! My version would be Rice Dream (non-dairy "ice cream")... coconut and mango.

babyblue said...

I was wondering at what stage of CKD were you diagnosed and how long afterwards before you went to ESRF? I have stage 3

Unknown said...

Hi BabyBlue,

I was diagnosed somewhere between Stage 3 and Stage 4. My illness progressed very fast; but I think there is also one version of IGA Nepropathy that moves a lot slower. After about a year of finding alternate cures, I went to ESRF and needed to start dialysis.

In hindsight, I should have gone to the doctor as soon as I found that I have unusual weight gain. I blamed my diet and tried to lose the weight. Did not realize it was fluid gain.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've gone through it, and can share my experience. That said, do verify it with your doctor or some expert. Good luck!

Yours,
~RK

Unknown said...

One more thing, Baby Blue.

During the time between diagnosis and dialysis, I was really careful of what I eat. I had a strict renal diet: low meat, almost no diary. I still pee'd a lot, so I did not have any fluid restriction. It helped me to keep a food diary to track what I am eating. Also, it helped me track the foods that cause my gout attacks.

Hope this helps.