Saturday, July 20, 2013

Walk On


“To grow, to discover, we need involvement which is something I experience everyday, sometimes good, sometimes frustrating.”
- Bruce Lee


Feeling down this week.  There is a situation in my hula group with one of the newer students, and I think her behavior will force me to quit the group. I am deeply saddened and extremely angry with this. I love dancing hula, and I have been in this group for more than five years. To leave because someone is uncivil and disrespectful is disappointing.

This situation has caused a lot of stress and agony.  My blood pressure has been elevated and have not been sleeping very well. I have been very sad, angry, and moody as a result of this.This week, only after two days of crying, anger, meditation, and introspection, I have finally returned to my happy normal self.

In my introspection, moving on may be the best move for me. If one is in a negative situation, the best defense is almost always to walk away.  Some may think that it is running away, but I interpret this as taking the high road, avoiding a truly destructive situation, and not stooping down to their level. As someone who is only had a kidney transplant less than six months ago, having a positive attitude is important.  I feel that given my priorities, it is not worth it to attempt to continue going to a place where I regularly experience stress, especially if it is an extra-curricular activity. As much as I love my teacher and most of my hula sisters, I have a new kidney to protect, and weekly stress and frustration will not be beneficial to it and my overall health. 

I still have other activities to enjoy, and will continue dancing hula, whether it is on my own or with a new group. As Bruce Lee had said, “Walk on”.

No comments: