Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Gift


Just the other day, a new friend in my aikido class shared a story with me. Knowing that I just went through a kidney transplant, she shared with me that someone close to her also went through it. About nine years ago, her aunt desperately needed a new kidney. Her Dad volunteered to give her one of his and be a living donor.

Not knowing what the experience of a living donor was, I asked her what his experience was like. She said that after the surgery her Dad said he felt like he was hit by a truck three times. He was in a lot of pain – probably similar to the pain a transplant recipient would experience. After all, not only was he cut open, but a major organ was just removed from him.

She said that her Dad was down and out for about two weeks and had to live with his parents while he was recovering. His parents took care of him at this time, which is probably difficult for any adult.

She said that it was so touching that he gave his kidney to her aunt. She guessed that he loved his sister so much that he was willing to go through that much pain. I was so touched, I almost cried right there on the mat!

After his recovery, he was up and about. He actually feels normal now, except that he only has one kidney. Her aunt is also doing very well. Her Dad and aunt still call each other at the transplant anniversary. They are very close since they shared a very special experience and also his kidney.

I was very honored that she shared her Dad’s story with me. Being a living donor is a significant commitment, but it connects you with another human being in a very unique way.

I received the same gift this year, as well, and for that, I am extremely grateful. Living or deceased – every donor’s gift is priceless. In this season of giving, I hope you all consider to sign-up to be an organ donor and give someone the gift of life.

Happy Holidays and have a Happy New Year!

No comments: