Monday, September 1, 2014

A Test of Endurance


Blogger’s Note: One of the main reasons that I continue to blog is to share how my life is after the kidney transplant. After transplant, I expected to be able to do EVERYTHING that I used to do and "with much more gusto".

While it has been over a year and a half, I still am getting used to moving with my new kidney. I think part of it is that I choose to continue with activities that require me to adjust my movement - primarily martial arts. I have not even resumed my water activities, so hopefully we will soon see how that is affected. 

Also, I recently learned that because of my lowered immune system, I would get tired more (Thanks Dr. Oz), which is probably why I cannot do as much as used to do before dialysis "with gusto".

Plus, I am getting older. Anyways, here goes…


Last weekend (23rd through 25th of August) was a great aikido weekend in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our division headquarters, Aikido of San Leandro celebrated their 30th anniversary. It was a big deal: yudanshas (black belts) who have been training forever attended the celebration, high ranking teachers demonstrated, and long parties afterwards. It was a long but enjoyable weekend.

However, I knew that weekend would be a challenge to my energy level: we started training Friday night, then prepare for the long day of training and demonstrations on Saturday, then the potluck afterwards, and then Sunday’s All-Division training all the way to the other side of the bay (about an hour’s drive away… maybe an hour and a half). To add to that, we had a special guest instructor Monday evening, arranged by our sensei Sunday afternoon, so I knew I had to update our website and also attend class Monday night.

I had to plan. I was just going to leave work early on Friday, go and train, and rest for Saturday. However, the potluck was going to be an issue: for big events like this, I usually bring something homemade, but would keep until after two hours of training and two or more hours of demonstrations – usually something baked and sweet or a huge salad. I can still do it given my schedule, but I would not be getting enough rest – and I knew I would need it. I am still working outrageous hours at work and if I don’t give time to relax, I know there is little chance of my surviving the weekend.

What to do…

Compromise.

I decided not to bring something homemade this time. Although I opted for something store-bought, I went for something unique. Since students from all over the world would be coming to the party, I decided that sharing something from my heritage would be good. I brought Filipino rice cakes: different types. That way, I can try out what rice cake works. It's been my goal to learn how to make those cakes at home anyway, so this can be counted as "research".

I also took Friday off: I did not know how late class was going to be on Friday night so I decided to take it easy during the day, in the event that it will be a late night. Friday was dedicated to relaxation: no meetings, no work, no assignments… just rest, perhaps do something enjoyable, and prepare for the weekend.

During the weekend, I made sure I had plenty of rest and nourishment. I started the day with a really good but quick breakfast: usually a bagel with “the works”: tomatoes, cream cheese, and avocado (I know, potassium and phosphorus nightmare – but I can have it now, and it does fuel me for the day).

Saturday is usually a long day and lunch is not until 3 or 4 pm. I brought a good supply of provisions: nuts, kind bars, bread, and plenty of water, just in case. This was a good strategy since I cannot really enjoy the potluck; it’s almost like a buffet especially with that many people.

I used the same strategy on Sunday. The best thing about Sunday is that it’s a shorter day. Carpooling helped me conserve energy and saved a bit of carbon footprint.

Overall, four days of training was exhausting but rewarding. Not only did I get back in touch with old friends, but connected with my friends at our dojo. Since I carpooled two out of four days: We were able to share ideas, laughs, and stories. Carpooling became a great time to share and know each other better.

As I told my Sensei, it was a sensory and information overload. It was a very memorable experience. Because I was able to rest, I felt I was able to get the most of the event.

Now, it’s time to digest it all….

No comments: