Sunday, September 22, 2013

Finally Nidan


Buson's Autumn Haiku Card


I had a milestone this week. I just had my nidan (second-degree black belt) demo. I felt I have been preparing for my nidan test for about eight months. However, because of my transplant, I was not able to take my formal test last February (see my original post). Last Saturday, I finally had a chance to perform my demo and receive my certificate.

Right after my transplant, I was not even sure if I could train in aikido again. I was in so much pain that it took so much effort to just move around. Also, I have had to avoid trauma on my kidney “surgery spot,” so I was not sure how I could manage my training.

Slowly but surely, I was able to start training again. First, I just started with weapons class where we do not normally have close contact or take (too many) falls. After I was getting more confidence, I attended general practice once a week, then twice. After all, I had an exam to train for. Although twice a week practice wore me out a bit, I hoped (and still hoping) that I would eventually get used to it.

I did not have a formal test, because my Sensei felt it was not necessary. He said that I was basically ready for my test in February and was already training at a Nidan-level back then. The demo was just a formality.

During the celebration, Sensei gave me a card with Yosa Buson’s Autumn Haiku (see photo in this post). It reads:

Ichigyo no
Kari ya hayama ni
Tsuki wo insu

On the mountain crests
A line of wild geese
And the moon’s seal

To me it represents, a new season, a new beginning, and the continuing journey that I will have in aikido.

Onegai shimasu.

No comments: