Sunday, September 1, 2013

Take Me Out To The Ballgame!


View from bleachers





My husband and I had recently enjoyed a couple of San Francisco Giants games at AT&T Park. The first one was courtesy of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (it was the kick-off event for the Light the Night Walk) and the other, the most recent one was our own choice – the Polynesian Heritage Night. During my recovery period, we bought tickets so we could have something to look forward to after my internment.

Although we were looking forward to the game, I knew one of the challenges would be finding transplant-friendly ballpark food. Both games were night games, so I would want to have a decent dinner. Fortunately, AT&T Park has been known for great food, so I thought it would not be too much of an issue.

Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Tempting! Cholesterol-wrapped Phosphates!
However, the nutritionist at UC Davis said that probably the best foods for me at the ballpark would be cotton candy or peanuts. However, I wanted something close to real food, so the dilemma continued.

I googled the dinner possibilities at AT&T park and found some options. However, during our first visit, we were in the bleacher seats, and although there were a number of very tempting options, it was quite limited for a transplant patient. Present were the usual pre-made hotdogs and burgers, kielbasas, even bacon-wrapped dogs, but nothing hot or prepared only for me. Given my choices, I opted to get a veggie burger without lettuce and tomato. I figured that would have the least concern of bacterial growth. I also had a Ghiraldelli ice cream sundae for dessert. Yum!

On our second visit, we decided that the safest bet was to have dinner before the game. We opted for something familiar: Momo’s right across the street from the park. My hubby and I shared lamb meatballs to start. He had the lettuce wedge as always, and I had the gumbo, which was nice and warm and quite yummy. Not only did we get hot and delicious food in an enjoyable outdoor cafĂ© setting, we also saved some money since ball park food can be a bit overpriced. We were so full after that mean that we did not need to eat at the ballpark, except for the obligatory red vines and cracker jacks.

Did you know that the toy in cracker jacks is now a mini comic book. Really?

At the main entrance at Willy Mays Plaza, we found that there are a couple of other convenient sit-down options: Public House and Mijita. Hubby and I made a mental note to check these out next time we’re at The Yard.

One not-so-secret note: According to a post in another blog, if none of these options appeal to you, AT&T Park allows folks to bring in outside food – no questions asked. If you feel like it, you can fill your bag with goodies - either kidney-friendly or transplant-friendly - for the game. That may be the safest, most convenient bet of all.

Play Ball!!

No comments: