Thursday, November 14, 2013

What a week!


This week was somewhat challenging for me. The devastation in the Philippines affected my Hubby and me emotionally. Seeing the extensive devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda as known in the Philippines) in Tacloban and other cities in the Visayas was horrific. We have been seeing in the news how the Filipinos are suffering and coping.  The situation is very sad, and it will take them many years to rebuild and economically recover. And too, the emotional damage to each and every survivor may take much longer. Can you imagine losing most of your family and friends? It is devastating.

I am somewhat fortunate. Although I have friends and family still in the Philippines; my family and some of my best friends are not in the affected areas. I contacted each of them to check how they are, and fortunately, they are all safe. For that, I am extremely grateful. According to my step-mom, they are far enough from the eye of the storm that they only had some fairly strong rain and wind.


I also checked how my family is, specifically my Dad. Last time I heard, he would not take his maintenance medication for hypertension. Sadly, We now found out that my Dad is not in good shape. He was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease – the same as my Grandmother. My step-mom did not tell us prior because she did not want to worry us, since she knew that I just had major surgery.

I had mixed feelings when I read the news. I was glad that they are safe, but obviously now very worried about my father. I was very close to my Dad when I was growing up. I hung out with him after school at his office and do homework. He would build all sorts of gadgets for me, which is probably why I got interested in technology: I remember he once tried to make a piano out of light switches. I would watch him while he is writing his TV or movie scripts; later on, I would use up half of his paper and write short stories or scripts of my own (which is why I fancy myself as a writer) or just draw on it (I also consider myself an artist). He taught me how to drive and opened my eyes to different cuisines (including my first encounter to sashimi, which I love because of him). It’s very sad to hear that he’s not in good shape, not the same old Dad that I remember. It is one of those times when I wish I am living close to him and not thousands of miles away.

I am not quite sure what to do you yet. To a certain extent, I am overwhelmed. What are my responsibilities to my countrymen? What are my responsibilities to my Dad? What about to my husband and my family here and, to myself?  I wanted to jump on the first plane to the Manila and be by Dad, but that is probably not the best option right now. It is a gut reaction of a daughter who just wants to take care of her parent.  

Do I jump on the plane to try to help the people devastated by the typhoon? Or will I be jeopardizing my own health if I do that? With my compromised immune system, I have been avoiding exposure to germs for months, and here I am considering flying off to help people in probably a germ-infested area, without regular access to clean water and nourishment to my new kidney. If I risk myself, how I continue to help? Who's going to take care of Meow and be a partner to my husband?

What a dilemma.

I am still figuring out how to balance it all out. There is no doubt though … the human spirit is resilient, and, one way or another, we will be able to make it through these most trying times.


To donate to the relief effort to the survivors of Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda, check out the following sites:


And please pray and wish for my Dad some really good luck!

No comments: