Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Uglier

This weekend was quite an adventure.

It started out with a relatively decent dialysis session. I only gained a kilo (about 2.2 pounds). I was keeping a track of fluids that I've been taking, and that kept my weight gain in check. I thought that would be better for me in the long run, but I may be mistaken...

The session went fairly smooth until about the end. The machine was beeping every 5-10 minutes. In the end, Jen and I decided to cut my time by 10 minutes since the machine would not run properly; it was just acting up.

Saturday morning... I woke up with severe gout pain on both feet. I can barely walk and stayed in bed most of the morning (Sadly, I also missed my aikido class). The pain lasted the entire day, never subsiding, inspite of the colcichine and tylenol that I've been popping. It was horrible -- I even missed a surprise birthday party that I was looking forward to attend. It was quite sad.

Well, today I am happy to say that all is well. The colcichine has taken effect, and I can now walk. In retrospect, I think the only thing that varied was my restricting my fluid intake. I think its good for most dialysis patients, but not for me. Everyone is different.

I also had a fairly good session today, no beeps and I am definitely keeping hydrated.

No comments: