Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trimming the roses

I spent sometime this Sunday morning trimming our rose bushes. It is great to get up and do some chores around the house without pain. Funny, as it sounds, I miss doing the little things and almost forgot how to do them.

As I was trimming our beloved plants, I realized that our roses, one rose bush in particular – the Double Delight, seems to have paralleled my life the last two years. The rose bushes have been unkempt. It has a number of dried wood and leaves that needed to be trimmed and faded blossoms that need to be cut back. As I cut the dead branches and plucked the yellow leaves, I realize this is exactly like my situation the last two years: a number of health-related problems that needed (and still need) to be resolved. As time goes by and as the treatments and healing continues, my dead leaves are plucked away, and things become clearer – allowing things to grow, just like what I am doing to the roses. The roses have a bit more room to breathe and enjoy the sun now, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The bigger dried branches need to be trimmed, and with my compromised right arm, I will need hubby’s help for that… just like my health situation.

The roses have me and Hubby. I have Hubby. I hope Hubby realizes that he has me, the roses, and the cat to take care of him.

No comments: