Saturday, April 6, 2013

Back to Work


I’m back to my day job, at least part-time this week. I am slowly introducing parts of my “normal” life back into my daily routine.  

I am a bit nervous coming back to work since I have been out for couple of months. To add to that, I will be working on a completely different project, so it will feel like an entirely new job.

My doctor and I planned on having this first week as a “warm-up” for when I return to full-time.  I really wanted to ease into things so I am doing my best to resist the temptation to work a full day. My manager is flexible enough to adjust my work hours.  I find it really easy to be enthusiastic and work a full day the first day, only to deal with getting too worn out after.  In fact, that happened on my second day. I worked for five and a half hours, only to be extremely tired that evening.

Also, as part of my first week, I mostly sat at my desk at home, instead of working from the couch. This should give me a chance to build up my energy to sit-up for a full day. Each day, I worked a bit more. I found that working kept my mind off my blood pressure, fluid retention, and weight gain, which may be mentally and physically healthier for me.  

My daily walks are now a treat, rather than a chore. At the end of the work day and after being indoors all day, I love being outdoors and enjoying the fresh air, sights, and sounds.

The next couple of weeks should be interesting. I suspect that I will not be able to blog as much or as long. In the coming months, I am hoping that I can slowly integrate the more fun things of my life, like going back to hula and aikido. Still, we’re taking it one step at a time.

No comments: