Monday, April 29, 2013

In Appreciation of all Organ Donors


April was National Donate Life Month. In appreciation to all those who are registered as an organ donor and all of the organ donors, living or deceased, I am dedicating this post.

Through a registered donor, I was able to get a kidney transplant earlier this year. I feel very fortunate to have a new lease on life. I have never won anything in my life, but after that I feel that I won the ultimate jackpot. While on dialysis, my career, weekly activities, and travel had necessarily taken a backseat to my dialysis treatments. But now, and for the first time in a long time, I am actually thinking about the future, not just living day–by-day. Now, I am able to spend more time doing the things that I enjoy and not going to the dialysis center three days a week, four hours at a time. I am even considering taking night classes to improve my career. What a gift!

This month, I’ve learned that in this country alone, more than 100,000 people are waiting for an organ transplant. About 92,000 are waiting for kidneys, 1,600 are waiting for livers, and 3,000 need hearts. The wait is long: I waited almost five years for a kidney – seemed even longer. Thousands of people die while waiting: about 18 people per day in the US alone. Some like Moy Sweetman in Australia just give up.

There is much progress in getting artificial organs. At Massachusetts General Hospital, researchers have successfully created a functioning rat kidney in the laboratory (from a New York Post article). Here in California, UCSF is leading a team of scientists from all over the country to make use of Silicon Valley technology to create an artificial kidney: something like a small dialysis machine implanted inside a human body (from the Mercury News). However, such progress is years away and may not provide something viable for thousands of people who are currently waiting for a transplant. For now, it is only through these donors’ involvement that people with end-stage organ failure will be able to survive. The need is greater than ever!

So, a big well-deserved thank you to all who have given a relative, a friend, a neighbor, or even a stranger the gift of life.

If you have not registered yet, I hope that you will consider registering as an organ donor. One organ donor can change as many as eight lives. For more information and to sign-up, please visit www.organdonor.gov. Help make a difference.

No comments: