Saturday, June 8, 2013

2013 San Francisco Kidney Walk


Last weekend was Kidney Walk weekend in the Bay Area. Hubby and I participated in the walk in San Francisco. It was a wonderful day in the City – a perfect day for a walk along the Embarcadero. The temperature was mild, the sun was shining, there was a very light breeze, and lots and lots of smiling faces.

2013 Kidney Walk Start Line
There we go...

I was pleasantly surprised about the HUGE turnout this year. It was much larger this year compared to last. Huge teams participated including one from a local high school, a big group of friends and family, and even one from a local dialysis center. We even had a very high profile corporate sponsor – Hewlett-Packard.  Amongst these huge teams were families, couples, and individuals – all of us united in a common goal, i.e., to celebrate life and, to raise kidney disease research monies.

2013 Kidney Walk - Walking
Walking, walking, walking...
I even saw one of the technicians from my old dialysis center. He recognized me in the sea of people and faces. We exchanged hugs. I miss my friends there. We had been together “through thick and thin” for some four years. I am overdue for a friendly visit.

It was quite encouraging for me to see so many people supporting the walk.

Kidney disease can be a silent killer. Per the NKF website, “because symptoms may not appear until the kidneys are actually failing, millions of people with kidney damage remain unaware and are not taking steps to protect the health of their kidneys.” I am extremely happy that there is a growing awareness of the disease. As an example, the kids from the local high school were mostly of minority backgrounds. These groups are often most affected by kidney disease. With these youngsters as new advocates for the cause, both awareness and prevention of this disease will certainly grow, improve.

Walking BibsHubby and I enjoyed a slow walk since we were also playing tourist, checking out restaurants, watching passersby’s, and taking pictures. Hubby is thinking about volunteering next year. As for me, I am looking forward to participating next year again, maybe even targeting an all-star level. I should start fundraising now!

P.S. I am happy to report that the 2013 San Francisco Walk has exceeded its goal by almost $50,000! If you have not donated yet this year, there is still time. I believe the NKF is accepting donations through the end of July. A warm “THANK YOU” to all who made a donation on my behalf!



No comments: