Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Homecoming of Sorts


picture: dialysis machine

Hubby and I visited my dialysis center last Friday. We were overdue for a visit, but we just received the go-ahead at my last check-up from my lead transplant nephrologist.

We timed our visit so that some of the techs would be on their dinner break and, hopefully not too busy. I had mixed feelings about the visit. On the one hand, the technicians and nurses have become my friends, and I do miss them. On the other, the center had some really stressful and frustrating memories for me.

We were so warmly welcomed. The technicians missed us. Unfortunately, my favorite ‘sergeant-at-arms,’ err … charge nurse was not there at the time. I guess we just have to visit again, some other day.

They commented about how good I looked and how my complexion has improved (I remember having really dry skin when I was in dialysis, and I probably looked tired a lot).  Most of them have been wondering when or if I would come and visit.  Most folks don’t come back after getting their transplant. Some of the patients even commented that we’re a good walking advertisement for a kidney transplant. I look both very healthy and happy!

In spite of the happy reunion, the place did look a bit sad and quiet that day. Maybe it was because the techs were on dinner break. Normally, when I showed up for treatment, I was in a fairly bright mood; the technicians and I would exchange jokes. Don’t get me wrong, there were days when I did dread coming to dialysis, especially when I was sick or had an awful day at work. Most of the time, I tried to make the best it, usually by escaping in my fashion magazines, watching my favorite TV shows, getting lost in playing games on my iPod, and of course, enjoying a conversation with Hubby.

Looking around that day, the patients looked very, very quiet. There was certainly sadness in the air - perhaps a quiet acceptance of their situation. I talked to some of my old friends, acquaintances (as did Hubby, who chatted with a fellow Pittsburg Steelers fan, friend of his). I’ve learned that some of them have been waiting for a transplant for even longer than I; one of them was recently refused a transplant because he was deemed too old (and too ill). Many of these patients even had to delay any travel, because of the ongoing dialysis treatments.

After this visit, I appreciate the gift of a receiving a second chance in my life even more!

I no longer have to go to dialysis three times a week and have the ability to enjoy travel without worrying where and when to dialyze. I am so sad that there are so many others who are still waiting, wanting, and perhaps, running out of hope – can you imagine! I so wish that they will not give up, because that gift can come in the middle of the morning, on any given day, seemingly out of nowhere – as it did for me and for us.

No comments: