Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Why I move: Gym time


Another way that I move is going to the gym. I usually visit the gym when it’s too hot to walk, or raining, or it’s dark out.


Please don’t get me wrong. I am not a fair-weather walker, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. With too much heat, you may get dehydrated or overheated. With rain, the sidewalks are a bit more slippery (and a fall may potentially impact my kidney – although I like do walking when it is slightly drizzling). And lastly, when it’s dark, it could be dangerous… for anyone, even in the safest of neighborhoods. We have a rule around the house - "Back home when stars are out".

Of course, the sun is actually a star too, but you know what we mean.

The gym allows me to workout during these conditions. It’s a safe environment, and even if I get home late from work, I can still get my exercise and decompress. It is much needed after a long work day.

Being at the gym also allows me to multitask a little bit: I can browse through a magazine (although, the intensity of my workout decreases when I am browsing) or watch TV, usually sports or news. What I really enjoy is listening to what the weightlifters are playing on the radio. They usually listen to something fast and motivating so I tend work out a bit harder. Added bonus: hearing the weightlifters grunt. It can be hilarious... or painful.

I usually use the elliptical since it is easier on my knees. I choose one of the set programs that usually vary in intensity. Since it has a pedal forward and backward mode, I can switch focus on muscles that I don’t have a chance to use while walking – like the back of my thighs.

Gym equipment
Image courtesy of photostock /
FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The gym also gives me a lot of other options. If I am not in the mood for the elliptical, I can use the threadmill or the stationary bicycle. There is also a rowing machine, but I need some instructions on how to properly work it.

The gym also gives me the option to work out with weights. I really should get out of my rut and start on that this year, so I can tone gain more muscle. I stopped after my transplant and never really started back.

I read that when one gains muscle, one will burn more calories when you do that. I may also end up with Michelle Obama arms!

My husband and I choose a gym that is relatively close to where we live. Otherwise, we probably would not go. Having a gym close to us gives us motivation to work out. 

Rain or shine, night or day.


If you enjoyed this article, you may enjoy the others from my "Why I move" series:


No comments: