Friday, June 20, 2014

Why I move: Aikido


My apologies for not posting in a while: We took an extended weekend trip to the coast primarily for an aikido weekend. We spent four days in Monterey, California to enjoy the ocean, the world famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, enjoy farm fresh vegetables from the Salinas Valley and fresh fish, and three days of aikido.

Because of that fabulous weekend, I think this will be the perfect opportunity to continue my “Why I move” series, this time focusing on aikido.

aikido staff takeaway
As you probably have read in some of my previous posts, my aikido practice has been a major part of my life. I have been training longer than what I’d like to admit (only 12 years, longer if you count the year or two before graduate school) and am now a second-degree black belt. However, in some ways, there are still times when I feel that I am a beginner.

Aikido was my primary exercise when I was in dialysis. Back then, I could only train twice a week and was tired after that. Now, I am training at my normal schedule, three times a week, and can squeeze in a day or weekend if I need to.

I enjoy aikido because it provides me with a great way to release stress. I am not sure what it is, but after class, my mood is usually better and I feel happier.  Even if I feel tired before class, after class, I feel energized.

Aikido also improves my mental fitness. I saw a piece on TV that keeping your brain active and learning new concepts actually improves your brain and memory. Aikido definitely qualifies as that: although I’ve practiced for a while now, there are still new terminology, techniques, and combinations to remember. I really enjoy the blend of physical exercise, language, and patterns since I have been drawn to learning new languages. The exercise is a big bonus.

The relationships that developed while in aikido have been a major plus in my life. We have celebrated a lot of happy memories like marriages, engagements, and new babies. We have also been there for each other through sad events. In fact, my aikido family has been extremely supportive during my time on dialysis and through my recovery. They are very protective of me and that I do not injure my new kidney and my fistula. In the dojo, we take care of each other and are protective of our training partners. This is one of the principles of aikido. Also, we want our partners to come back and train some more.

Of course, aikido also benefits me physically. I think it is not only because of the exercise, but also because my body seems to function a lot better after class. As an example, if I feel like I am retaining water, after class, it seems resolved. As the Japanese would say, my ki or life force seems to be flowing better. That is actually what the “ki” in aikido means: Aikido is the way of harmony in energy or spirit.


before test

Aikido was one of the things that helped me cope with dialysis and now as I learn my boundaries with a new kidney. I feel that as I train more: I feel more aware of my body and its limits. Although one may be hesitant to try it because it is a martial art and may be challenging, I highly recommend it to anyone. It will help you in body, mind, and spirit.

Just try it… you will enjoy it!

If you enjoyed this article, you may enjoy the others from my "Why I move" series:


No comments: