Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reflection

My dialysis sessions have gone rather smoothly the last couple of times, so I thought I would take advantage of this quiet time to reflect on good things that happened the last month. This is the perfect time for it – since I have to stay fairly close to home to do my monthly “pee-test” so my kidney functions can be measured.



  • I am dialyzing at a consistent schedule. Hopefully that will improve my kidney functions.

  • I can now have an occasional chai latte with soy.

  • I can now have an occasional hot chocolate without worrying about gout attacks (next is to try spanakopita – spinach, feta, and phyllo dough).

  • I can have meat, lamb, or fried chicken without worrying about how much protein I am having.

  • I can enjoy an occasional glass of wine. I usually save it for a really good (expensive) wine, which is the point, correct?

  • I am still able to crochet and knit. I made several leis for friends for this Holiday season.

  • I now have time for reading. I gave that up a year ago when I was assigned to my project in Pleasanton.

  • I can still work – full-time. I enjoy my work, and although it does not define me, it is a major part of my being. As Kahlil Gibran once said, “work is love made visible”.

  • I have been able to continue my ukulele lessons. Music has always been part of my life, even though I am not good at it. It is good to be able to play a musical instrument again. I think I am actually improving.

  • I am still able to ski – we skied two days over Christmas. I could have skied more if we had time! Love to ski.

  • I have been able to continue with my hula lessons, in spite of my compromised schedule.

  • I performed in my first hula show in years!

  • I still have time for Aikido and pursue my black-belt. It will be a slower and more difficult journey, but isn’t the journey the reward.

  • Finally, Hubby and I have been spending more time together. Hubby has been very supportive and understanding through this last month. He has come to every dialysis session and helps me out once I am hooked up. He provides me and others “entertainment” while we are there. He has helped me out with all my activities – including (but not limited to):


    • Taking care of many things around the house – cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, garbage, and her royal highness, the cat.

    • Continuing to be involved with the doctors at the hospital and the staff at the dialysis center.

    • Making my red arm bandage for my aikido class (to prevent folks from grabbing me on my right arm).

    • Carrying the skis for me to and from the ski resort.

    • Making sure that I get on the lift with my “good” side, for the ride up.

    • Accompanying me to the center to make sure I have a ride afterwards.



There are plenty of things to be grateful and happy for, even if times are now quite challenging. It is so easy to focus on the concern and the pain when times are hard, that one often neglects to notice the good things. Reflection is a good thing.



Peace.

No comments: