Thursday, November 24, 2011

Hyperphosphatemia

My monthly lab results are in, and inspite of my efforts to bring my phosphorus down, mine is still a gigantic 8.1. This is way up from my normal range (from 3 to 5.5).

I have had some issues with phosphorus in the past.  This was primarily due to a vacation in Hawai'i (snacking on macadamia nuts would do that) and frequent visits to 'Bux for a chai latte (due to very low blood pressure).

That said, recently there is nothing in my diet that would cause this. The dietician in my clinic agrees.  I keep a regular food diary, and when we reviewed it, there is nothing in there that would cause a high phosphorus.

I am very concerned because high phosphorus can cause bone and heart problems that lead to hospital stays and in some cases death (More on phosphorus in this article).  Also, last time this happened, my hair started falling out. Not good.

The dietician is recommending a new binder to use with my existing meds. Although I am hesitant to take in more drugs, I would do anything to lower my phosphorus. In spite of my kidney disease, I am still fairly active and would like to continue to do so. Keeping my phosphorus in check is key to that.

No comments: