Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A body that stays at rest…


At aikido class last Saturday, Larry sempai started class with jumping jacks and some light jogging. It was a very cold morning, and he wanted to get our heart rates up. After about 10 minutes of moving, the rest of the class stopped and grounded… but I can’t. My body just wanted to keep moving.

At that moment, I realized the true value of exercise. Don’t get me wrong. I consider myself moderately active. Even though dialysis tires me out, I try to go to the gym before my treatments, still attend aikido class twice a week, sometimes three, and have my hula dance breaks when I work from home. However, I have not moved that much since… I guess the Light the Night Walk last fall.

Last Saturday, I realized that I should keep moving. If you become lethargic, your body becomes used to being at rest and remains at rest.  What Isaac Newton said does not only apply in physics, it also applies to human bodies too (After all, are we not made of matter?). Exercise helps me clear my mind. Actually, after aikido class or a hula workshop, I feel refreshed and invigorated. My body may be physically tired, but it’s a good tired. It also leaves me in a better mental state with my condition better.

I’ve committed to moving at least 30 minutes a day: whether it is chores, gym time, or working on my abs (ugh). How about you? No buts… Just do it!

No comments: