Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The call

We were woken up at 2 am yesterday morning with a call from UC Davis. It's my kidney! I am the primary candidate for it!

It's the call that we've been waiting for.

Things started to go through my mind: Do I really want a kidney? Where is my "go" bag? What will life after a kidney look like? We can travel again. I can pursue a Ph.D. Can I still practice aikido? On and on... My Hubby and I had trouble going back to sleep. It was exciting and scary at the same time.

UCD was going call in the morning after they had confirmed with my doctors that I am fit for surgery.  I contacted my manager to let her know what is going on and that I would not be coming to work in the morning.  I wanted to use that time to prepare for the surgery and being in the hospital for an extended time. There were things to do: get money, fill out the disability form, take care of Meow, wrap up work.

But no calls came. We waited and waited and still no calls.  I think the process of waiting is more excruciating. You never know when its going to happen. I worked almost half the day and still no calls. I don't even know if I am supposed to eat.

In talking to the charge nurse at my dialysis center, she shared with me that the kidney may still need to be removed. Also, it may still need to travel - it may be across the country.

So we wait...I even went to dialysis, perhaps for the last time. It's somewhat bittersweet thinking that that may be the last time two huge needles will be stuck in my arm.

We both hope that we both can get a good night sleep tonight, and tomorrow brings better news.

Good night and good luck (to me)!


No comments: