Saturday, February 2, 2013

Transplant Finally!

After 5 years of waiting, I am a proud and happy recipient of a healthy kidney.

The transplant process was very stressful, not only to me, but also my Husband and to a certain extent, our kitty cat. There were a lot of unknowns including the possibility that the transplant would not be successful. Don't get me wrong: kidney transplants have a high success rate, like 95%. Being me, what it I were one of the 5%. 

But I was not! I survived. After 5 hours of surgery - none of which I remember, thanks to the power of anestisia, I was surprised when I woke up groggy in the post-op room. I was barely conscious. I remember seeing one of the unit's doctors, Aida, the post-op nurse, an Asian guy in scrubs, possibly another doctor, and Hubby!

That was only the tip of the iceberg. Recovery period, I think is tougher, mostly because you're conscious this time around and you need to participate. Also, you have to deal with a lot of attachments to your body: you have catheters in to collect your pee (no lie! That is probably the most inconvenient), a catheter to drain fluids around your kidney during surgery, AND an IV in your neck! I feel like a Borg (Star Trek reference).

After surgery, you also have to eat a clear liguid diet. Reason is your body was put to sleep so you need to give your digestive time to wake up.

Once you start producing gas, then you know your digestive system is starting to wake up. By the way, this is no ordinary gas: This is like 100x your normal gas. For women, it's like your menstrual cramps - only 10x worse; your significant other will get 20x the usual retribution.

Once you hear grumblings and you start farting, then you can eat solid food. But what is the use, you do not have much of an appetite anyway, because you hurt all over! I only had four bites of real food every meal; the first three solid meals and that Ceasar salad with 1000 island dressing (what?) didn't look at all appealing. When I did get my appetite back, I was hungry! I think that is the real indication. I almost finished my entire plate.

I think the main reason that you lose appetite and energy is you hurt all over. That was major, major surgery! You had your guts open, your abs cut. It has got to hurt. Part of the recovery program is to walk around the ward: that first day, I could barely get out of bed. My right leg is stiff, my entire right side is sore. I can't even turn over. It's the kind of pain that makes you question why you are doing this.

In observing other patients, I noticed that they are not shy about asking for pain pills. I am not a fan of pain pills, but I think this time, it's an exception. After a day of struggling with movement, I asked the doctors and they adviced to get pain pills. Yes, it worked! I did a total of 18 laps around the ward yesterday (pills and listening to my iPod worked). I just need to be aware and not be dependent on it - now, I can see why some folks do.

I am still here at the hospital, but I think I still have a few days and a few more adventures and misadventures.  Right now my main concern is where I'll be watching the SuperBowl with Hubby.

No comments: