Sunday, February 24, 2013

Now, it's hyperkalemia


I received my latest lab results last Wednesday, and my potassium is now elevated. The normal range is 3.5 – 5.3, but my last results were 5.7.

I have usually had no problems processing potassium. Even when I was on dialysis, my potassium levels were normal. But now that I have a new kidney, it’s a bit out of whack.

I believe an elevated potassium level is called Hyperkalemia. High potassium levels primarily affect a person’s heart; that is why it can be a concern. Per Wikipedia, “extreme Hyperkalemia is a medical emergency due to the risk of potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms” – it can be life threatening.

I have not been officially diagnosed with Hyperkalemia yet, but I have been advised to adhere to a strict low potassium diet.  It is somewhat frustrating, because some foods that are high in potassium like dairy were recommended to me because they are also high in phosphorus, and my phosphorus is still low. I guess I just have to find a balance.

That said, I suspect that my elevated potassium levels are due to one of the immunosuppressant drugs. Tacrolimus, more commonly known as Prograf, has been known to increase potassium in the blood. As I suspected, my Tacrolimus dosage was just reduced last Thursday.  With these changes, hopefully, my next potassium lab results will be better.

Fingers crossed. 'Will see the results of these changes in the lab results tomorrow.

No comments: