Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sleep


Meow asleep
Meow: She sleeps 16 hours per day.
Just like my cat, I have been sleeping and napping a lot these days, maybe because I feel tired most of the time. Last Monday, I needed to go to the labs to get a number of tests done. The labs were just an easy 15 minutes from our house, but this time around, it seemed like a long way. After that trip, I felt that I used up all my energy. Everything else was a big effort: getting water, taking my meds, showering. What a big difference from the Type A person that I have always been. It’s rather scary how fragile we humans really are.

The following Wednesday, I had a chance to take a short deep nap after lunch. After I woke up, I felt rejuvenated. I felt that I could tackle the world again, although I was not sure how long.

I used to think that sleep was a necessary evil.  With a good chunk of my week spent in dialysis, I hated wasting time, and I would get furious if some unforeseen issue threw me off my schedule. As a result, sleep was something I never got enough of. I used to get six hours a night Mondays through Saturdays and maybe seven to eight hours on Sundays.

Now, I know that I was mistaken. Hopefully, since I will not be in dialysis three nights per week, I can get home at a more reasonable time, and get more sleep.

For more benefits of sleep, here’s an article on Health.com. 

Sweet dreams.

No comments: