Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Back Home


I was discharged from the hospital two days ago and was looking forward to coming back home. It was Superbowl Sunday, and I was looking forward to enjoying the game, have some chips, and cheer my team.

The transplant center is about 2 hours away from home, and the trip back was exhausting.  I was very surprised because we’ve taken this trip many times – often for something fun like skiing or a two-day dance workshop and now, I was tired just sitting in the shotgun seat. At this point, I can’t even imagine walking one block – and I was doing great training for the next Kidney Walk!!!

I did see some of the game, but did not have my usual energy. No cheering, no fighting with the referees – in fact, I think I dozed off and almost missed the half-time show.


One of the biggest adjustments at home is how I interact with my kitty cat/baby/daughter, Meow. One of the nurses said that we probably should get rid of her, but that is not an option. Meow has been my angel through this process – along with my Hubby - she saved me in my saddest times. Meow, Hubby, and I – we are ohana – family: No one gets left behind or forgotten (From the Disney movie "Lilo and Stitch").




The reason that cats are risky during the recovery process is that their feces carry a fungus that may be dangerous to the immune system. Transplant patients have lowered immune systems, so that the body can accept the new organ. A cold or flu, especially in the first few weeks of recovery, may cause the kidney to be rejected.

With this big change in our lives, everyone will need to make adjustments, including Meow. She cannot come to bed with us or even sleep in bed when we are not there. She was my morning alarm - she would jump in bed on top of me and meow her little heart out. Now, she will need to do it from outside the bedroom door, at least for the first month. I am wearing a mask every time I pass the litter box and sometimes when I am on the couch with her.  Meow and I are not too happy with it. At least, I am back home.

No comments: