Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bye bye Binders, Hello New Meds


Binders in a box
Adios binders!
I boxed my phosphorus binders today. I am still not used to not taking them during each meal. I used to take 6 binders per meal, and these pills were huge. They are almost like a small side dish. These pills are so huge that I have choked on two or three occasions. Also, you have to take these with something liquid, so taking the binders almost used up my fluid quota for the day.

I am so glad I am not taking binders anymore.

That said, I have a new set of medications to get used to. The most important of these medications are the anti-rejection and anti-infection medications. The Anti-Rejection medicines are important for the new kidney to be accepted by the body. For the recipient’s body, the new kidney is a foreign substance, and without the anti-rejection meds, my body will fight the new kidney. By taking anti-rejection meds, the new kidney is accepted. The side effects include my immune system being lowered. Any bug that may be normal for a non-transplanted person could be disastrous for a transplant recipient.

New Meds and Diary
Hola New Meds and My Big Fat Diary - ugh!
The Anti-Infection meds do exactly what it says: prevents infections. I take one for bacteria and one for virus. I am wondering if I should also take the anti-fungal since I love being outdoors.

The rest of them are Maintenance meds: Aspirin, vitamins, Pepsid, stool softeners (believe me – this is needed.), high blood pressure meds, and cholesterol lowering drugs (statins). Apparently, statins are important because a side effect of one of the anti-rejection meds is that it will increase your cholesterol. I, admittedly, am not a big fan of statins, as they have their own miserable side effects. Before the transplant, I was taking highly refined prescription fish oil to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides. I prefer that approach, but the doctors seem to be set on a low-dose of statins.

This does not include my “magic” pain pills. I primarily use generic extra-strength Acetaminophen (Tylenol), but when my pain level reaches to about 4 or 5 (out of 10), I go for the big guns.

UC Davis is very well organized. For example, they gave me big fat diary to keep track of my medications. Believe me, I need it. Based on my twice-a-week lab results, they are still changing the dosage on one of my anti-rejection medications and when they do, I have to be on top of it.

All in all, like any change, taking these new meds is an adjustment. I have been fortunate that I am not going through nausea or anything horrible. Also, although I seem to be taking more types of medications, I feel that the volume is less. With six binders and two fish oil pills per meal plus vitamins and blood pressure meds, my medicine container was almost overflowing. Now at least, it’s only about a third full, and rumor has it that my meds will decrease over time.

Woo hoo!

No comments: