Saturday, February 9, 2013

Hypophosphatemia


Not too long ago, I was diagnosed with Hyperphosphatemia or High-levels of Phosphorus. I was very perplexed because my diet almost had no phosphorus in it – no dairy, no high fiber foods, no cheese (except for cream cheese), almost no nuts, and limited protein. The nurse and the nutritionist at dialysis kept nagging me about my increasing phosphorus levels. At the end, I found my diet was not the culprit, but we still increased my binders.

This week, we had our first transplant follow-up visit and the pharmacist declared that my phosphorus was too low. TOO LOW! I think this is called Hypophosphatemia. Hubby and I found that extremely funny because not long ago, we were having the opposite argument. She said that low levels of phosphorus may cause tiredness, which is what I am experiencing. She also said that if it does not increase, she might prescribe phosphorus supplements to me. What a difference a new kidney makes!!!

Ice cream bars phosphorus supplements
Our version of Phosphorus Supplements: Yummy!
So, I am making an effort to have a bit more phosphorus in my life, but not too much since we know what the opposite means. After that visit, Hubby bought us two ice cream bars! I have not had one of those in a very, very long time, and neither has he! We both enjoyed each bite, and he promised to get a pint of Haagen-Daz during his next trip for groceries (Note: he’s never bought ice cream before).

This week, I also enjoyed a generous amount of peanut butter with my Pain Perdu (ok – it’s just French toast, watched way too much Food Network yesterday). I did have to make it with rice milk because one of my anti-rejection medications require that I do not have dairy two hours before and after taking it (more on this later). Guess what, no naps that day! I was able to make my own lunch with little help! I think it is working. I am even going back to my phosphorus-laced Aveeno moisturizer with soy.

My new motto: An apple and ice cream a day takes the doctor away!

No comments: