Saturday, March 2, 2013

Vindication - Hopefully


Hurray! My potassium is now 5.0 – thanks to a reduced dose of Tacrolimus and a low potassium diet. It did increase slightly from Monday’s lab results by 0.1, but my nephrologist said that the difference is not significant enough to be of concern.

I am hoping that with the reduced Tacrolimus, my potassium will continue to lower. For now, I have been advised to maintain a low potassium diet – that means forgoing my beloved tomatoes, avocados, and bananas. My cereal now has low potassium almond milk with 1 teaspoon of sliced almonds. At least, I can have Honey Bunches of Oats - until I have a chance to check the potassium content. Today, I had a half a bagel with only cream cheese – I miss having tomatoes and avocado on it. That is one of my guilty pleasures.
Balanced diet? Some phosphorus, Some potassium

My frustration is that dairy, which is high in phosphorus, is also high in potassium.  Ice cream is the ultimate guilty pleasure for me. I couldn’t have ice cream when I was on dialysis; I had to settle for a sorbet when I wanted something cold for dessert, and I missed ice cream’s creaminess and sweetness. When the dietician recommended that I have a huge ice cream sundae, we went ahead and indulged in some ice cream bars and Haagen Daz. The dietician still recommends that I continue with my ice cream habit, until my phosphorus rises; unfortunately, it’s decreasing again!

At least, my potassium is now within normal range, but still on the high side. Hopefully, with a semi-balanced diet, I can tackle both Hyperkalemia, Hypophosphatemia, and any more Latin that they throw at me. Or is that Greek?

Hubby thinks that the answer lies within peanut butter. I don't think he meant Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

Until my next lab results!

No comments: