Saturday, March 23, 2013

On writing



Now that I am still recovering and am not supposed to exert myself as much, I have some time to write. Right now, it helps me fill time and get used to semi-working; otherwise, I’ll just sleep and watch TV all day.

I’ve been updating my blog fairly regularly; actually, more so immediately after I was discharged. Now, since I am trying to move more, I am still trying to post at least once a week and not slack off. Still, I don’t want it to feel like work, since the most important thing right now is to focus on recovery and not work, even if it is for yourself

The Social Worker at UC Davis said that most transplant-recipients do not remember the challenges they experienced immediately after surgery – all they remember were the good times. I want to remember so I can look back and can appreciate the transplant even more. It also helps me deal with stressful weeks like last one's.

I think of my blog as my journal. When (or if, given last week) I am finally feeling better and back to doing my normal activities, I want to look at the journey that I made from dialysis to transplant to full-recovery. In fact, just a few days ago, I read my posts from when I was in dialysis, and reading them again made me cry. I've experienced a lot since then and have gone a long way; it made me appreciate where I am now. Unfortunately, the journey is not quite over yet. I realized how important this blog is to me, especially when I have challenging times. Of course, sometimes when I am having a bad day, that is when I am not in the mood to write.

One of the unexpected side effects is that my blog and tweets provide me with support from folks who have witnessed or experienced dialysis and dealing with kidney disease. This community has been really helpful, since this is all new territory. It makes me feel that I am not alone. I am hoping that my blog and tweets are also helpful to others who are going through a similar experience.

Until next post.

No comments: