Friday, March 8, 2013

Back in the Hospital

I went back to UC Davis Hospital today to remove my kidney stent. It should be a minor procedure and not take longer than 15 minutes. However, I was still feeling a little bit of anxiety. I think this was primarily a result of reading about the procedure on the web and seeing what a stent looks like. Or perhaps, it was because the last time I was there, the surgeons cut me open, and the incision still hurts a bit.

We were asked to check in at 7:30 am (which means we need to leave the house at between 5:30 and 6:00 am). No solid food after 11 pm the evening before, not even my morning medication, and no liquids after 5:30. That meant I'll be hungry all morning.

The procedure was not until 9:30 in the morning, but they needed to check me in, go through pre-op prep, insert an IV, then finally, pump me up with sleepy juice (anesthesia).

While in pre-op, I met 2 nurses, the surgeon (who also did my transplant, which was reassuring), the anesthesiologist, and the urologist (who will be doing the actual procedure). The nurses and the  anesthesiologist went through my medications and when I took them, what I ate and when, and what I am allergic to. I was concerned about the pain. They assured me that I will only be conscious enough to move from the gurney to the operating table -- I will be sedated and will not remember anything.

It's game time! They gave me the anesthesia via IV. After that, all I remember is my saying "I'm getting sleepy." My next memory is a nurse saying "breathe deeper." The procedure was done.  I really did not remember anything. Well, maybe except the fact that I am hungry... and still sleepy.

After I was discharged, I had my meds, a granola bar, and a caramel coffee frappe. I forgot that I am not supposed to have any calcium within two hours of my medications -- I was still too groggy so I was not sure what I was doing. Oh well, we'll make up for it this weekend.

Then I took another nap in the car: one of many today. Hope I can sleep tonight.

No comments: