Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One Foot in Front of the Other – Part II


As part of my recovery, I’ve been asked to walk daily. For those following me at my tweets at twitter, you know that at first, I thought I was supposed to walk for only 10 minutes a day. Looking at my discharge orders, I was shocked to see that I was not walking as much; it is supposed to be 10 minutes for three times a day. Whoops!

A portion of my Daily Walk
I guess that this is consistent with the “Let’s Move Program” which recommends physical activity for 30 minutes for adults. Got to get in the program. It is actually about the same amount of exercise I used to get during my dialysis days (I exercised more on the days that I did not go to dialysis).

I have been walking around our condo complex. I used to walk only about 75% of the perimeter, but now I have to increase the distance. Just in case something happens, Hubby does not want me to go outside of the complex yet. Also, even though I am in the complex, I carry my cell phone, just in case. I walk about three to four laps, twice a day. It’s 0.8 of a mile, and it takes me about 18-20 minutes.

My first goal is to walk without pain. The incision still hurts a bit but not enough to stop me from walking, and I still have some lingering pains outside of the incision related to the surgery. Once the pain disappears, I am hoping that I can get back to my old pace; 55 minutes for about 3 miles.

Then I will begin training for the Kidney Walk.  Wish me luck.

No comments: