Monday, March 25, 2013

Frustrations: Patient-Physician Communication During the Digital Age


I have been exceedingly frustrated with the Transplant Clinic. Over the last two weeks, my blood pressure has rose and is now exceedingly high (180/90), and I have gained 7 pounds since the transplant (about 5 pounds since my weight normalized).  I tried to wear my fat jeans yesterday and it was not comfortable. These doctors do not realize how much work I’ve done to lose 2 pounds and now I’ve gained 7 and can’t fit in my good clothes. I am supposed to return to work in 9 days and if I can’t wear my work clothes, how am I supposed to do that. It is extremely frustrating.

As of early Saturday morning, we did not receive any meaningful response to our issues on the blood pressure and unexpected weight gain. The last response that we did receive was a prescription for medication that I had told the hospital that I am allergic to. My husband, and also the pharmacist at Kaiser, already called them several times, only for them to promise to call at the end of the day. But no calls came. We had to raise hell to get some sort of feedback. Seems that the clinic does not access the medical records in their own hospital. I am also stuck with a transplant coordinator that does not seem to enjoy communicating on the phone – I feel rushed every time I talk to her.  I’d be less frustrated if I can talk to a doctor, perhaps a cardiologist, and have them figure out the issue with my BP.  Instead, I feel like I am in a guessing game.

I have been very frustrated to the point that I have asked my husband to be the one to speak wirh them going forward. With almost a week of dealing with them, he is also getting frustrated. 

Without any reasonable response, I began my own investigation and unleashed my inner Nancy Drew (or Jessica Fletcher). I am thinking that the blood pressure increase may be due to fluid retention, which could partially explain the weight gain. I have searched the Internet to find some possible answers and found some possibilities. It could be some swelling (edema) from the surgery or the anti-rejection drugs may be causing my abdomen to swell.  I have not discounted the possibility that I am gaining real weight due to my new diet and exercise routine – but I don’t think that explains all 7 pounds and that soon.

I really-really wish that the doctors and nurses would provide more transparency. If I could discover possible answers on the net (granted, it took me two or three hours), then surely they could provide me with such information. After all, they have years of experience on this.

In this age where health information is just a Google search away, I don’t think that our health care providers can just say that “what you’re experiencing is normal,” and not provide an explanation. Patients are more educated about their condition. They are going into their doctor visits with a number of questions based on what they found on WebMD or similar sites, credible or not. Our health care providers need to realize that they will not be treated like the “man behind the curtains” anymore; they need to explain the condition thoroughly, respond to any questions that the patient may have, and debunk any false information that may have been read on the internet.

Also, patients are still patients. We’re scared. Chances are this is the first time that we’ve encountered a serious medical situation (as an example, it’s not everyday where I get a kidney transplant).  Anxiety is one of the side effects of the anti-rejection drugs. I wonder though, that if there were specific, reliable, and timely communication between the doctor or nurse and the patient, that this anxiety could be avoided. At the very least, it could be greatly minimized.

I am expecting that my and my husband’s questions will be answered in my visit with them tomorrow. Here’s to my anxiety being relieved.

No comments: