Saturday, December 20, 2008

Back on the mat

Today was my first day back in the dojo. I really need to go to class today. Aikido has been my stress-relief and spiritual retreat, and I need it! Hubby and I have been through a lot these last two weeks, and I need Aikido as an outlet and just to "center myself."

Fortunately, my arm is in better shape, but still a bit tender. Last night's session was substantially smoother. Marcos, my assigned tech for the evening, was able to insert the dialysis needles easily. I can still feel the needles in my arm through the session, but I think I am getting used to it. The staff has been good in alleviating the boredom. The case manager is there to consult with us; the techs, who are mostly Filipinos (like myself), crack jokes; I have my TV routine established (5:30-6:30 local news; 6:30-7:30 - Friends reruns; 7:30-8 - Seinfeld); and I have some reading material and DVD's just in case. It was my first three hour session. I was really worried that with the extra thirty minutes, my arm will be too sore, and I will not be able to go to class.

But the evening went rather smoothly. I still get pretty cold in after 2 hours and was experiencing some cramps (Oh, did I mention I had a gout attack that morning? I thought dialysis is supposed to remove those). Taking the two needles out is still the best part of the evening!


Anyway....

I need to be back on the mat! Being in the dojo and with my aikido family has given me strength though the years, and it is wonderful to be back.

I know that I need to be careful. Today, we're practicing weapons: bokken, a wooden sword used to simulate a Japanese katana (and a weapon in its own right), and jo, a wooden staff. I know I can making strikes and thrusts, but I am not sure if I can take someone's parry. Parries can be really powerful, and I am not sure if my arm can handle it. I just have to let my practice partners know to hit me at about 50% strength.

We went through five of the two person sword practices (kumitachi) and five of the two person jo practices (kumijo) in an hour and a half! Physically, I was a bit tired; we only had six people in class, and as a result, we get to practice more. Emotionally and spiritually, I was elated!

I can't wait until Monday night... my dialysis session is moved to tomorrow (Sunday, ugh!), but that frees me up to go to the last class of the year. I think the whole group will be there, and I am looking forward to seeing them!

No comments: