Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My first visit - 12/8/08

Here it is -- the first day -- I've packed my bag of boredom buster goodies: my current crochet project, Wired! Magazine, Skiing Magazine, Aikido and Hula DVD's, tunes, and my food diary. I am hoping that things would go smoothly that we will be hooked up in time to watch Monday Night Football and Charlie Brown Christmas. My husband suggested that we bring a blanket since most patients feel cold after awhile.

The first part of the visit consisted of signing paperwork -- it's just like signing a mortgage for a house. I did get another bag of goodies at the end with ANOTHER BLANKET, headphones, squeeze toy, pillow, and anti-bacterial stuff. OK, I think I am ready...

Time to put in the needles... the technicians had a really difficult time to find my veins and when they did find one, my arm started to swell. Time to pull out the needles! The techs think that either my veins are still immature and need more development OR that we may need to put in a catheter for alternate access. What a disappointment!!! My alleged kidney function is at a very low percentage, and further delays may prove fatal. To add to that, I do not want a catheter -- that means no more aikido - ever!

Sadly, I was sent home...

On the way out, the director mentioned that my nephrologist would like me to return tomorrow. He also noticed that my sleeves were rolled up and advised that I were something thinner so it won't interfere with the flow of blood. Hopefully, just a T-shirt will work better.

I still cried most of the night. All I can think about is this really sucks!

No comments: