Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Getting used to downtime

I think I am starting to get a hang of the downtime during dialysis. It does give me a chance to catch up on reading -- now a luxury. I had to give it up when my new work assignment required me to drive rather than take public transportation. Instead of reading, I end up listening to language tapes (currently Hawaiian) or talk radio. Now, I have three hours (more or less) every three days to read, in addition to listening to my language tapes in the car.

I just need to be a bit more organized, just like the way I was two years ago before this whole chronic disease brouhaha hit us. Have a project list and just tackle some items during those sessions. My cautious side is saying not to be too ambitious, start slow... while the daring one is saying, why don't you see if you can find an online doctorate program that you can take on, and take up Sanskrit while you are at it.

I think one of those items -- and probably the most immediate one, as soon as I can get a hold of the book -- is to read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramhansa Yogananda. Last night, during the sempai (senior students) meeting, I noticed that Sensei had that book on his shelves, and it reminded me that I have been meaning to read to that. I have started reading a number of spiritual autobiographies to put perspective in my aikido and yoga practice, and this one is on my list. Perhaps this can make up of the fact that I have been missing my regular yoga practice. I have not been able to do a decent downward facing dog with my weak hand, and my sun salutations have been compromised.

After that, maybe I'll learn Sanskrit...

No comments: